Friday, April 13, 2007

Are you Superstitious?

Not really. I guess that I have always been more of the "seek out a black cat to walk in front of you sort." I think that being raised in a Christian family helped you to see the humor in superstititons, realizing that God had power over fear of the unknown. Although I do remember stories of my mom's grandma being very superstitious. She was Irish, and they are known for being very superstitious. She would never let my mom whistle. It seems very silly to us to look at whistling as something to be scolded for, but I'm sure if you go back in history, some woman was whistling and her entire village was destroyed in a typhoon, and thus whistling woman=disaster. Mom also said that she had a "tonic" for everything. A winter tonic to keep you warm, a spring tonic to get rid of the winter and so on. She and all of her children have lived to be aged adults, so maybe there was something to a "tonic."

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

I so relate to the Irish part of this! My Mom's family had a superstition about everything!

Glynis said...

I remember those stories, too and I thought of that when I picked this prompt...crazy!

Tammy said...

My great grandmother had one of those tonics. Seemed to help when you had a bad cough.

loonyhiker said...

I used to whistle a lot when I was young. My mom hated it. Maybe she knew about your story but I think it just got on her nerves!

heather said...

My grandma had superstitions too. Maybe when they had no other explanation for stuff they had to find one!!

Toni said...

I find a gin and tonic to help on occasion so maybe there is something in that theory :-)

ArcaneFaery said...

Hm Maybe that's why my grandmother was so superstitious....she was Irish! I posted all about her on my blog under this!!I never even thought about the Irishness! LOL!