Monday, April 16, 2007

Books vs. sleep ( Sophie's choice for new parents)

Since my husband and I found out that we were expecting, our reading has taken a sudden turn. A bookshelf that was once filled with John Grisham, Mario Puzo, Anne Rice, J.R.R Tolkein, and C.S. Lewis, was now filled with books with titles something like: "So your guys work!! A fathers guide to pregnancy" and "You will never sleep again: Bringing home a newborn" (fictional titles, but you get the gist) My husband and I read anything that we could get our hands on. We went into that birthing room with birth plan in hand thinking that we could knock this labor thing out and still make it home to catch the end of C.S.I.. Oh, how naive we were. Nothing that I/ we could read could ever prepare you for the labor process, or bringing home that sweet little bundle whose cutest hours seemed to always be between 3:00 and 5:00 am.
How I miss picking up that book just to get away for a little while, but I wouldn't trade my new life for anything.

1 comment:

Glynis said...

Give that sweetie a snuggle for me, won't you, sis?...and don't worry--the books will still be here when you get your life back!