Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Called to Love

I truly believe that when God told us to love as He has loved us, we don't take this command literally enough. I have recently been made aware of the plight of the poverty stricken children of this world. Did you know that every 3 seconds a child around our world dies of disease and famine? That $50 could completely change one family's life. ( We spend that on gas for our over-priced cars in one week. ) Our church has decided that this is unacceptable and has decided to buy a South African Village. Did you know that for $12,000 you can provide clean water, education, food, and shelter for the people who live in that village? $12,000!!!!! This thought has kept me awake at night. If 24 people got together and each gave $500, children would go to bed with a full belly and thoughts of hope for a future. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone in my circle of friends that would go completely bankrupt with the loss of $500. I believe that my generation has the potential to eradicate poverty around the world, and that God will hold us accountable for these lives. Thank you for listening to me, and may God bless all that read these words.

http://www.one.org/

http://www.worldhope.org/

1 comment:

Glynis said...

Thanks for again making us aware of things that we could easily ignore. You've made me think twice!