Monday, May 14, 2007

Foolishness

What is the most foolish thing you have done in your life?

I must admit, I have done a few. One that sticks out to me , almost physically pains me to talk about, but I will muster through. I was working at a surgery center, and local artists used to display their art in our waiting rooms and various other places around the office. There was one painting that had been hanging there for quite some time. It was a slow Saturday, and a gentleman came into the center. He was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt carrying a hammer and some nails, and another painting. I walked up to him and innocently enough asked if he was going to change the painting. He said that he was, and I said "good". The conversation continued and he asked "Why? don't you like it?" This is where a person who is smart actually uses that filter in her brain. You know the one that stops you from sounding like a idiot? "I then proceeded to tell him why I did not like the painting, and that it only looked good from far away. If you haven't already figured out where this is going, he was the artist. There is really no way to recover from that, and needless to say, a memo was posted entitled: Attention art critics... It was a proud day!!

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

This had me laffing! I have had major episodes of hoof and mouth disease! In fact the only time I open my mouth lately is to change feet. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Unknown said...

Don't we all wish there really was a brain filter for all those things we shouldn't say. I know the filter in my brain doesn't work half the time.

Glynis said...

Well, I'd never heard THAT story! Nice going :)